|The Glasgow Royal Infirmary (GRI) is a large teaching hospital, operated by NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde. With a capacity of around 1000 beds, the hospital campus covers an area of around 20 acres, situated on the north-eastern edge of the city centre of Glasgow, Scotland.
Designed by Robert and James Adam, the original Royal Infirmary building was opened in December 1794. The infirmary was built beside Glasgow Cathedral on land that held the ruins of the Bishop’s Castle, which dated from at least the 13th century but had been allowed to fall into disrepair. A Royal Charter was obtained in 1791, which granted the Crown-owned land to the hospital. The original Adams building had five floors (one underground) holding eight wards (giving the hospital just over a hundred beds) and a circular operating room on the fourth floor with a glazed dome ceiling. After a number of additional buildings were added, the first in 1816, a specialist fever block in 1829 and a surgical block in 1861. Following the amalgamation of the old St. Mungo’s College of Medicine into the University of Glasgow Medical School in 1947, the old College buildings on Castle Street officially became part of the hospital campus, until their replacement by the New Building in the early 1980s.
The original Adams building was replaced in 1914 with a new building designed by James Miller and opened by King George V. In 1924, the surgical block in which Joseph Lister had worked was also torn down to be replaced. In 1948 the hospital became part of NHS Scotland.
Visions of a brand new hospital on the site had been part of the Bruce Report as early as the late 1940s, but by 1974, the Greater Glasgow Health Board had formally begun plans for the replacement of the 1914 Miller buildings with a brand new building. This would be located on the north of the hospital site overlooking Alexandra Parade and the M8 motorway. The New Building was designed by Sir Basil Spence in a “modular” fashion, where new blocks could be easily added in phases as funding allowed. In the end, only the first phase of Spence’s original design was implemented and was finally completed around 1982. Known as the Queen Elizabeth Building, it also incorporated new accommodation for the hospital’s teaching departments, thus replacing the old St. Mungo’s College buildings. The new complex is linked to the Surgical Block of the original Royal Infirmary building at basement level via a link corridor, with a further pedestrian entrance at lower basement level on Wishart Street (adjacent to the Necropolis). Since 1982 the pre-1915 buildings of the Infirmary have been protected as a category B listed building.
After the closure of the Rutherglen Maternity Hospital and the Glasgow Royal Maternity Hospital, a new maternity block was added to the New Building; the Princess Royal Maternity building opened in 2001. Following the closure of Canniesburn Hospital, in 2005 the Jubilee building was opened, adding purpose-built Accident & Emergency facilities and a plastic surgery unit, this development also saw a new multi-storey car park built over the former site of St. Mungo’s College. Following the transfer of the Golden Jubilee Hospital (formerly the infamous HCI Hospital) in Clydebank to public ownership, much of the Cardiology specialism was moved from GRI to the newer facility. The Infirmary now has over one thousand beds. Despite the new developments, the original Edwardian buildings continue to be used and are likely to remain in use for the foreseeable future.
Marmac Services Limited was contracted to Redpath Construction to Supply and install the infrastructure required by the new department.
The brief was to extend the mains services from the existing Glasgow Royal Infirmary to the newly constructed Plastics Departments.
The works comprised the removal of asbestos, existing ceilings, doors and finishes etc. structural alterations and reinstatement. This facilitated the installation of new mains supplies which were run from within existing buildings across landscaped areas to new plant rooms where connections were made distribution boards etc. Data and telecommunication systems etc, were reinstated or renewed as required.
Works were completed within a live hospital environment.
This involved the following services:-
• Medical Gases
• Electrical Power
• Information Technology: Networks Optical fibre, Telephony, BMS, Security Coaxial
• Fire Alarms
Given the age and complexity of this facility and due to the system critical nature of the services the project required military precision project management. Health and safety is regarded as paramount and the standards that are demanded include legislative CDM and in many particular case are beyond normal legislation.
Many of the areas we were required to access were not only used by the hospital staff, public access had to remain open and fully accessible at all times.
The project was completed ahead of schedule and within budget.