Description Of Works
|The site of the Kelpies visitor centre is located to the North East of Falkirk and is accessed via the M9 motorway. The site is bound by the River Carron to the North, the current end of the Forth and Clyde Canal to the West and the M9 to the East. The building provides an additional tourist attraction for those visiting the ‘Kelpies’ Sculptures which is North of the building.
The building consists of two audio/visual presentation rooms, a cafe with associated kitchens and servery, retail space, public toilets, staff and office areas. The principal structure consists of a single storey steel frame. The green sedum roof sits on a structural ply deck on timber joists which span between steel rafters. The building is primarily to be clad in timber which will be fixed back onto external timber infill panels. The front elevation of the building is glazed with curtain walling.
The scope of the work included the procurement, installation, co-ordination, site testing, commissioning, provision of “As–Installed” drawings provision of maintenance and operational documentation, together with the whole of the labour and materials necessary to form a complete Mechanical & Electrical Services installation comprising the following:-
• Mains cable tails to Supply Authority’s Meter location.
• Main Switchboard to receive incoming supply.
• Final circuit distribution boards
• Sub main cables to distribution boards and MCP
• Cable management systems for LV power systems and ELV systems
• Final circuit lighting and power cabling installed within cable management systems, including conduits to final outlets, equipment and devices.
• Internal lighting systems.
• Emergency escape lighting systems.
• External lighting systems.
• Lighting switching and lighting controls.
• Small power outlets, connection points isolators etc.
• Addressable fire detection and alarm system.
• Earthing and bonding requirements.
• Data and telecommunications installations.
• Security Installations including intruder, CCTV, door access control.
• Audio Visual equipment.
• Heating Installations including Air Source Heat Pump & Radiators
• Underfloor Heating & Radiant Panels
• Water Services Installations
• Above Ground Drainage
• Ventilation Fans
• Ductwork Installations
• Air Conditioning
• Automatic Controls
• Testing and commissioning.
• Handover documentation.
The installations complied fully with all relevant statutory instruments and regulations current at the date of installation and in particular with the following:-
• The I.E.E. Regulations, Requirements for Electrical Installations. BS.7671:2008.
• Regulations under the Factories Acts.
• Regulations under the Electricity Acts.
• The Gas Safety Regulations, Recommendations, Codes of Practice
• The Clean Air Act
• The Control of Pollution Act
• Any requirements of the local Electricity, Gas or Water undertakings including where applicable testing and stamping and relevant charges.
• Any requirements of the local Fire Prevention Officer.
• Statutory Instruments.
• Health and Safety at Work, etc. Act
• COSHH Regulations: 2002
• The Pressure Systems and Transportable Gas Containers Regulations
• The Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2007
• Relevant British Standards & Codes of Practice
• Building Regulations
• E.C. Regulations on Sound Power on Building Sites
• Environmental Protection Act
• Water Supply Byelaws/Restrictions
• Control of Noise at Work Regulations 2005
• E.E.C. Directive on Electromagnetic Compatibility (E.M.C.)
• The Health and Safety at Work Act